Whooooaaaa, it’s been a while! I apologize for my absence- things are starting to get a little crazy, and I’ve been having a hard time getting some personal blog posts out there. To make up for the lack of posts lately, I thought I would do a 2-for-1. I get a lot of questions about when I’m moving, so I thought I would use this post as an update on my move, and a “10 things about me” post. As always…right now, I am listening to a beautiful song by Mat Kearney called “Runaway”. For the full free-spirit experience, click here to listen <3
First things first…the move…
So. Moving myself and my business across the country ain’t easy peasy. Sometimes I wish I had the luxury of having a “normal” job where I could find something out there, and move. But moving my business means establishing it in a whole new city and state. Plus, in the wedding industry, you book work a year or more in advance, so I didn’t feel comfortable leaving until I had a significant amount of work lined up in SF. Trying to save money while turning down lots of work in Ohio isn’t the easiest 😉 And, possibly the biggest road block, is the fact that San Francisco is SO incredibly expensive. When I said that $2000 rent was cheap, I wasn’t kidding! The way I see it is, I’m not paying for an apartment…I’m paying for San Francisco. And I’m fine with thatPicking a move date has been nearly impossible, because I have a few weddings booked here in Columbus this year (which, by the way, I am still very excited to shoot!) So while I want to be in SF as soon as possible, it makes sense to stay here to shoot a few weddings and then move, so I’m not traveling back and forth as much. So I’m headed to SF at the end of May to shoot a wedding that I’m really excited about, and I’ll be staying there for a week. The current plan is to hopefully find an apartment during that trip, and move shortly after that.
I’m going to be honest, it is hard to talk about moving, because I love so many things that are here; my friends, my apartment, my clients. But I am SO excited to be in San Francisco- it’s a very strange feeling. I have booked several weddings in San Francisco with the most amazing clients, and I CANNOT wait to shoot more out there. I have never had a second thought about my decision to move, and I’m absolutely certain that that’s where I’m supposed to be. But these last few months have been rough; it’s a huge undertaking. I have been turning to yoga a LOT during this whole experience because it’s the only thing that settles my mind. I posted a self portrait on facebook yesterday and talked about being comfortable being uncomfortable. When you’re literally upside down, putting your body in a position it isn’t usually in, you know that eventually your body is going to come out of that position- it will end. But when you’re in it, you give it your absolute best, focus on your breath, use all of your muscles, and tell yourself “you got this”. You start to make those connections between yoga and real life, and realize that if you stick with something, no matter how hard it is, you’re going to come out on the other end a better person. Even if you fail. Because you either try and fail, or you try and succeed. Both are valuable. I know my hard work will pay off eventually, and taking risks are always a good thing, no matter what happens. And this is where I give you an inspirational quote from Pinterest that applies to the situation:
And now…since I don’t want these free spirit fridays to turn into a “what’s going on with my move” post, here are 10 interesting facts about me
- I like to stand on one foot
- I like to eat and drink most of my food at room temperature. There are very few things that I actually enjoy being really hot or cold. I like to drink room temperature water the best.
- My hair dryer died 2 weeks ago and I haven’t bought a new one. I took it as a sign to embrace the beachy wavy hair for a while. It might be time to buy a new one though
- I’m terrified of elevators and have frequent nightmares about all kinds of elevator disasters. Even if my apartment building had one, I don’t think I’d ever use it!
- I want to work with animals at some point in my life- I feel like it’s one of my callings
- I’m on my 2nd Volkswagen Beetle. The first one my parents bought for me in High School. It was one of the only green ones we could find, and it was a stick shift so I had to learn to drive it. My Dad will tell you all kinds of funny stories about thatMy second (and current) one is also green and also a stick shift. I don’t even want to talk about selling it. That will be a sad day…
- I used to be a competitive figure skater- although I’m the most non-competitive person you’ll meet.
- If I never went to art school, I think I probably would have wanted to be a makeup artist. I have a small addiction, and love how creative you can be with it
- I am newly vegan- about 3 months. I love absolutely everything about it for so many reasons. It’s already changed my life in many ways. I try not to be the person who talks about it all the time, because I do feel like it’s a personal decision. While I am super excited about it, I won’t be that person who talks about it all the time and pushes my thoughts and beliefs on others. I’m happy to talk about it if anyone is interested, but this is one of the rare times I will mention itIt’s kind of like religion, no?!
- I am going to be starting a vlog channel on YouTube soon! If you don’t know what that is, it’s going to a be a place where I post daily videos about my life. I wanted to do something like this to document my move, so that my friends and family can follow my life, see where I’m living, what I’m doing, etc. It won’t be every day- just the exciting stuffI will post links on here, and on my facebook page once I get started.
There ya go! Hope you all have a lovely weekend <3 Things are going to start getting really busy over here with engagement and portrait sessions this Spring, so this blog will be coming back to life SOON!